Peace and quiet in Anacapri

Capri is quite simply a stunning island, and comes high up on my list of recommendations if you haven't been before. I had visited on day trips in the past, but on my last visit to Italy I decided to stay for a few days. There is nothing better than enjoying the island when all the day trippers have gone home!
If, as I did, you are struggling to decide which part of the island to stay on let me try to help. It is split in half by a mountain called Monte Solaro. To the East you have the lively area of Capri, to the West the quieter Anacapri. I decided on the latter because it's not only more peaceful; it's also much cheaper, and is still perfectly located for exploring the island.


The first thing that I searched for was a hotel that offered a free shuttle service to and from the ferry harbour. Taxis can be a bit pricey, but a transfer takes the stress out of arriving at the harbour with all the other tourists! I booked Hotel Il Girasole - a three star hotel with simple and small but pleasant rooms. They have aircon, satellite TV and a minibar. 


One of the most wonderful things about the hotel are the outdoor spaces. The views are absolutely spectacular, and there are little benches and chairs dotted around the terraces where you sit and take it all in. I spent a lot of time simply staring out to sea contemplating life!


There are panoramic views of Anacapri and the Gulf of Naples from the sun terrace, and there is also a wonderful pool. It's quite easy to spend your day soaking up the sun here, and in my opinion that's what makes Anacapri a perfect choice - you're hidden away from the buzz of Capri, but still close enough to be able to experience that as and when you want to.


 The hotel is a pleasant five minute walk from the bus station, so it's easy to get to Capri's main attractions, and the buses run late, so if you want to spend time in Capri at night there is no stress about getting a bus home after dinner. 


I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - it's not five star luxury but the views are epic; the service was excellent, and on such a beautiful island who wants to spend time in a hotel room anyway? Capri can be a very expensive place to stay, and I think I've found a perfect place to rest your head without breaking the bank!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The undisputed King of Chicken Piri Piri!

Life is not a dress rehearsal

A peaceful oasis in Marrakech