A peach of a place in Positano

Sometimes I find places on my travels that are so good, I really don't want to share them! I know it's selfish, but today's hidden gem is so good, I can't not tell you about it. Before I go any further, how would you feel waking up to this view every morning? 


This was the stunning scenery that I enjoyed from my bedroom at La Fenice, a wonderful family run bed and breakfast in Positano. I stumbled upon it by chance, and by the time I left I not only felt like I was a member of the family, but I also realised I had found one of my favourite places in the world. 


The property spans three hectares of the Amalfi coast. It's perched on a hill with villas and cottages that drop down a series of steps, right down to the Tyrrhenian sea. One word of warning - if you don't like steps this place might not be for you, but you may also find Positano a tricky place to visit because there are steps everywhere. For those who aren't daunted by that - you'll leave a fitter person than when you arrived!


Most of the rooms at La Fenice not only overlook the sea, but also have a private balcony or terrace. The bedrooms are simple with white walls, high ceilings and large windows. The floors are beautiful hand-painted tiles, and there is a fridge in each room to keep your drinks lovely and cold. 


The pool is one of the most beautiful features of the property. It is open from the beginning of June until mid-October, and has a waterfall but a lovely jacuzzi.  The sunny terrace around the pool has plenty of space to catch the sunshine or to enjoy the shade of the bougainvillea and jacaranda. 


One of the highlights of the day here is breakfast. The garden at La Fenice produces an abundance of fruit and vegetables, and you can sample many of these at the start of your day, which begins at one of the stunning upper levels of the property with views to die for! 


Anyone who has been to Positano will know that the centre of the village can get crowded with day trippers, and the main beach can get very busy. With that in mind, this is another reason this is the perfect place to stay - at the bottom of the property there is a private beach where you can enjoy the peace and quiet, while watching the boats sail by. The family can also arrange a coastal boat tour, but if you're anything like I was, you'll find it hard to tear yourself away from this place! 


At first glance, I'd say La Fenice is all about the views. Everywhere you look the stunning coastline sends you into a dreamland. After a few days however, you quickly realise that this place is also about the family that run it. Costantino and his wife Angela will look after you like you're a member of the family. Their sons can't do enough for you either - from arranging transport; to making restaurant bookings and making the best caprese salad I've ever tasted.
Do yourself a favour, if you have a bucket list....add La Fenice to it - you won't regret it! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The undisputed King of Chicken Piri Piri!

Life is not a dress rehearsal

A peaceful oasis in Marrakech