A fairytale garden in the Caribbean

Sometimes you visit a place that leaves you speechless, and Hunte's Gardens in Barbados does just that to me - and those who know me well know I'm not often left lost for words!I think you may feel the same when you see my first photo of today's location.


This tropical paradise is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Located in the lush hills of St. Joseph's, it's accessible from anywhere in Barbados, and is probably one of the best signposted places on the island!


The gardens were created by a legendary horticulturist, Anthony Hunte, and even if you're not green fingered, I guarantee you'll be blown away by what he and his team have created. The gardens are in a sink-hole like gully; and there is an easy path to take you round, as you pass the exotic plants and incredibly vibrant colours.


If you're lucky, you may meet Anthony at his extraordinary house (which was converted from an old stable) which is signposted as you walk in. He welcomes visitors with a rum punch or freshly squeezed juice for a small price, and it's worth it just to sit and enjoy the gardens from the veranda for a bit longer.


My top tip for Hunte's Gardens is to take a little picnic. There are so many beautiful little spots to sit and take in the view while sipping a cold beer, and a little sandwich! When I visited, we did just that, and you could see other people thinking "Now why didn't I do that"! If you're looking for something different to do on the island of Barbados, then I can't recommend this highly enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The undisputed King of Chicken Piri Piri!

Life is not a dress rehearsal

A peaceful oasis in Marrakech