Fantasy Island

As always on the first Monday of each month, it's time for some travel ramblings, and today I'm encouraging you to dream! Do you ever imagine waking up on your own private island? I do! Sometimes I wish I had enough money to be able to buy my own little piece of the Caribbean and REALLY get away from it all!


Marlon Brando owned an island in French Polynesia, and was once quoted saying: “I’ll never forget the feeling I had when I first stepped ashore from the motor launch. The sand was pristine, not even a footprint. I walked around that whole island and couldn’t believe what I saw…that first walk was one of the big moments of my life.” Can you imagine that – stepping onto your own piece of sand, and knowing that you are the only one who’ll make footprints in it? Wow!


We all know of multi-millionaires like Richard Branson (Necker Island, the Caribbean) and Johnny Depp (Little Hall’s Pond Cay, Bahamas),  who have successfully purchased islands,  but how realistic is it for the rest of us?


It seems like a complete fantasy, until a internet search reveals that’s not necessarily the case! There are plenty of websites with incredible islands for sale not only in the Caribbean, but also in Europe, South America, and the United States. The best thing is that many are not totally unreasonable in price! With a quick search, I found at least three islands under $150,000 - wow...have you started dreaming yet?!


It’s lovely to fantasise, but think about it…could you live in isolation with no restaurants or supermarkets within walking/swimming distance? Would you be prepared to travel by boat just to get supplies? And what if the weather was bad – would you be able to handle being stuck on your island for days at a time? I don’t know about you, but if money was no option, the answer to the above questions is still yes! Imagine the amazing privacy, the prestige, the romanticism. Well………..one can but dream!

Could you cope on your own private island? Where is your favourite island in the world? Let me know about it!

Comments

  1. What a great post for a Monday morning when it's hailstones outside! My answer to the questions is also YES....I could definitely survive the paradise!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The undisputed King of Chicken Piri Piri!

Life is not a dress rehearsal

A peaceful oasis in Marrakech