One for the mountain climbers

When I first saw the photo below, it reminded me of the scenery in the film Jurassic Park. I thought it was taken on a remote island somewhere....but it's not.....and you may not believe me, but this stunning photo was taken in Spain! 2018 marks the centenary of the official opening of the Picos de Europa national park. That makes it one of the oldest parks in Europe. It's accessible not only by flights to Bilbao, but also via ferries which dock in Santander.


If you love the outdoors, then make plans to visit the Picos this year. The limestone peaks stretch over 250 square miles, and are the perfect place for those looking for a big of adventure. As well as canyoning you can go mountain biking; and do one of the best day hikes in Europe. The Cares river route is one of the most breathtaking trekking trails that can be done in Europe, and follows the course of a hydroelectric pipeline through some of the most dramatic scenery you could imagine. The journey is just over 12km, and goes between Caín in the province of Léon, and Poncebos, in Asturias.


Having done quite a bit of trekking over the years, I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of this mountain range, but now I know about it, I'm keen to find out more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The undisputed King of Chicken Piri Piri!

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Bologna and its nicknames